Reducing energy demand in the UK with Nick Eyre
In this episode of Fuelling the transition, we are joined by Nick Eyre, Professor of Energy and Climate Policy at the Environmental Change Institute, University of Oxford. Director of the Centre for Research into Energy Demand Solutions, Nick’s role entails looking into energy use, energy demand and energy efficiency. He is also an acting Co-Director of the University of Oxford's new Zero Institute, which aims to accelerate the transition to a zero-carbon energy system.
In addition to Nick, Matt is joined by Bettina Wittneben, Sustainability Lead UK, at AFRY Management Consulting to discuss a range of topics concerning energy demand, including:
- The drivers and policies that are driving energy demand in the UK
- The approaches to lowering energy demand for heating and cooling, and whether heat pumps and hydrogen could provide potential solutions
- The different approaches to handling increased energy and commodity prices
- How Nick thinks the government should help with energy bills in the UK's cost of living crisis
- The potential of new solutions to respond to increased energy demand